
On Saturday, we also spent the afternoon at the Getty Center, which is just beautiful and unbelievable.
To call it a museum is an understatement. We could have spent two days there. They didn't even show any works from my favorite artists, and I still LOVED it. They were showing a beautiful exhibit on modern photography. Shots from the Vietnam War, Rwanda, and the Iraqi War were especially evocative. You have to go if you are ever in L.A. The tram ride up there is worth the $15 they charge to park. I spotted the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air house on the way up. But clearly, from the photo above, the architecture is modern and wonderful. There are sculptures and breathtaking, panoramic views at every turn.

My friend Scott Cable, who I've known forever, also lives in Pasadena and is coincidentally a friend of Mark. We all went to the Cable's house on Saturday night. (We were trying to look awkward in this photo. It's a long story.)
To call it a museum is an understatement. We could have spent two days there. They didn't even show any works from my favorite artists, and I still LOVED it. They were showing a beautiful exhibit on modern photography. Shots from the Vietnam War, Rwanda, and the Iraqi War were especially evocative. You have to go if you are ever in L.A. The tram ride up there is worth the $15 they charge to park. I spotted the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air house on the way up. But clearly, from the photo above, the architecture is modern and wonderful. There are sculptures and breathtaking, panoramic views at every turn.
This is a shot of the back of Mark and Kara (they are beautiful people, even from behind) and that's me on the left with the stripes. This is taken on the pier in Santa Barbara...it captures how foggy it was there. It was the strangest weather...foggy, hot in the sun, cold in the shade. We just walked around the main street and shopped a little, had lunch, and toured the pier. We did make a friend there...
A sea lion that we spotted, just sunbathing on an unsuspecting boat. These guys were so cute! We also spotted some dolphins and a lot of people fishing from the pier. It would be so bizarre to live somewhere where sea lions might be hanging out on your boat, I think.
And now, what you've been waiting for...the real reason we went to California. The Poshaks were just a cover. My love, David Gray.
I am slightly obsessed. He is my favorite musician. I judge people if they don't also love him. I definitely cried a few times during the show because I was so happy. He played "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" (which is a rare thing for him live) and "This Year's Love" back to back. I was a pile of mush. No, really, he puts on an AMAZING show and we all had an amazing time. We were at the Santa Barbara Bowl, which is just beautiful. And, he didn't have some chump opening for him, but this guy...
Ray LaMontagne, who is also another favorite of mine. Seriously...what a great show! I was singing and dancing and crying and loving every minute of it!
We four spent the night in Santa Barbara on Sunday, then drove back to LAX to fly home on Monday. We only had to make one mad dash at the Dallas airport to catch our connecting flight.
Special thanks to Mark and Kara for hosting us, my parents for caring for Winnie and Rush while we were gone, and Ray and David for singing their hearts out.

0 comments:
Post a Comment