I thought that yesterday would be a good day to journal our food for the day, because I made these weird little beet cookies that I thought were so fun. You should make them! Warning, though, your hands will look like this for a while...
I got the recipe from one of my favorite food blogs that is geared towards cooking for kids. She makes a lot of stuff that I incorporate here at our house. Here is the link to the beet cookies:
Mine did not look like the ones on her blog, for a lot of reasons. I didn't have a microplane, so my shreds weren't as small and juicy, so I added water to my dough. They ended up being more like beet "biscuits" and weren't as red as hers, but they were really good! I also used turbinado instead of white sugar and used half whole wheat flour. They barely have any sugar in them, so they make more sense as biscuits than cookies, anyways, I think. Winnie loved them, which is a small miracle. She has requested more today, because we ate the whole batch already.
BREAKFAST
Beet biscuits, plain yogurt, and Rush's morning banana for breakfast. He only ate one biscuit, which is strange, because he usually eats anything.
When Winnie saw her yogurt (with chia seeds) and cookies, she said, "Oh, I am so excited!" She dipped the biscuits in her yogurt and was as happy as a clam.
My plate. I had a few biscuits with some melon. We went to the Kirkwood Farmer's Market this week with my parents and my Aunt Patsy and Uncle Chuck. They had this melon as their sample and Rush could not get enough of it! I hate cantaloupe, but loved this stuff. It was some cantaloupe mixture/hybrid something, but I can't remember what it was called. I think Rush ate about 12 chunks of it there, because he had 5 different adults to hit up for another bite. It was almost getting embarassing and awkward, like a farmer might ask us to leave for hogging the samples. So my parent's bought us one, Mom cut it up for us, and Rush and I are in heaven.
LUNCH
Winnie's plate. Her new favorite little entree, the "egg burrito," which is just a cooked egg wrapped in a tortilla. Also, her favorite side, canned pumpkin. I mix it with a little cinnamon and yogurt, and she gobbles it down. Strawberries, too!
Rush's plate...same wrap, but with avocado and some melon.
My lunch. I was hungry! Wrap made with whole wheat tortilla, dijon mustard, spinach leaves, broccoli sprouts, avocado, red pepper, garlic salt, and Gardein strips. Gardein strips are these amazing little non-chicken strips that are delicious! This wrap needed a little bulk because of my growling stomach, so I threw them in. On the side, black beans I had just finished cooking with diced celery and onion. And some Xochitl tortilla chips, which are the best tortilla chips you can buy at the grocery store.
2 comments:
Can I come live at your house so I can eat like that all the time?
Your food pictures are beautiful. I never found out the name of the cantaloupe. Thank you, again, for the beet cookies. I can't wait to make them.
Post a Comment