2
Maybe it's because I have watched too many episodes of "The Wonder Years" in my life, but I'm very sentimental about my kids growing up. I always think, each day, that it's a day in our lives that will be over when we go to bed and we'll never get it back again. I get all weepy just thinking about how fast time flies. I picked Winnie up from school on Friday, and she had made this little fire truck with her class out of a graham cracker. It struck me how big she is getting. She made a craft. Without me. (That's what's in the photo, if you can't tell. She, of course, didn't eat it) Then we were walking down the stairs and she proudly said, "Mommy, let's wait here and let the green room go first." I immediately thought, "How does she know this is the green room? Who is the green room? My little baby knows information that I do not know!" I have thought ever since then that my purpose in her life is to love her and protect her and teach her, but it is ultimately for me to train her to live without me. To do things on her own, to handle her own emotions, to succeed outside of our home. That's a big responsibility! I don't always know if I'm up for the challenge. I want them to stay little forever. Sigh.
Growing Up
Monday, October 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
“Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers; the next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul.”
I feel the same way as you, Cary. I get so sad thinking about my kids getting bigger (and bigger and bigger and bigger) instead of being excited for the new things they're learning and doing. I want them to stay little forever!
Post a Comment