We had a family fun day on Tuesday. Andy got home from Indianapolis (Yay Duke!) after lunch, so he didn't go back to work so that we could all spend time together. We went to the zoo and had dinner at Chevys. When we were loading up to leave the zoo, I realized that Winnie's "Cat" was no longer with us. (That's the cat in the photo. Isn't it cute?!) She and Rush had been passing her back and forth and it was dropped somewhere at the zoo. It was closing time, so all we could do was check with lost and found. It wasn't there. For most people in the world, that is where this story would end. But I am not most people. I was upset about it all night. I couldn't sleep. I decided I would get to the zoo the next morning right when it opened and find that Cat. It had not been turned in, so I thought that I would just retrace our steps and call it a day. Still, no cat. Warning: this is where the story takes a tragic turn. I had an out-of-body breakdown at the zoo. It started with me retracing our steps about 4 times. Then going on every path in the zoo. Then peeking in trash cans. Then looking in zoo golf carts. I was so upset...I was crying and praying out loud and my hair was getting big and frizzy. I was breathing heavy from jogging a double stroller with 55 pounds of baby in it all over the zoo. But it gets worse...I soon start sifting through trash cans. And looking in the animal exhibits (because I convinced myself that some punk teenager threw W's stuffed cat into the bear or lion exhibit as a joke). And asking every worker if they had seen it and showing them a photo from my iPhone. I tearfully told the woman at the Ranger's Base that the cat was like a member of our family. I'm sure she was thoroughly freaked out.
Well, three hours later, we returned home with no Cat. I am going to buy a replacement tomorrow. You might be thinking I am crazy, which I am, but it is somewhat understandable. I've had this Cat since I was pregnant with Winnie. Rush has a matching Dog. She takes Cat on all of our walks, car rides, and carries him around the house. Several times a day, I hear her saying "I love you Cat. You are so cute!" and giving it a hug. She always finds her Cat and goes to get Rush his Dog. It is just a sweet little thing that I am as attached to as she is. I am attached to all of her dolls and animals, though. She doesn't have too many so she truly loves what she does have. Cat, Baby Bear, Abby, and Baby Stella are her "friends," and I can't go to bed at night until they are all cozy. I cringe thinking of them being face-down in the toy box or all alone on the floor. I group them together and make sure they are all face up. So you can understand why I would be dashing around the zoo in an emotional state of panic and grief. Or maybe you can't...but I had to fight the urge to go back this morning. I am crying right now.
5 comments:
breaking my heart. if Sonya ever lost her blu blanket, I would do the same thing. I totally get the thing with the animals. When I was little I used to rotate which stuffed animal or doll would sleep with me at night. Then all of the other animals were strategically placed by by size at the end of my bed, like a big stuffed animal group photo, and covered with a blanket so no one would get jealous of my velveteen rabbit who slept with me every night. Sorry, TMI. I hope Winnie loves her new cat just as much as her old one.
you may have just opened up an entire forum for people to share their "my stuffed animals have real feelings" stories... yikes, we all might be crazy.
I remember my Dad driving all the way back to my summer camp for my teddy bear!!!
I'm so sorry all of this happened, Cary! I'm sure Winnie will love the new cat too.
My little brother left his stuffed moose and blankie at a hostel in Amsterdam when he was 7 - he had had them both since birth. My mom didn't realize it until we were on the plane back to the States... as soon as we landed she called the hostel only to be told by the hostel manager that he had thrown away the "rat" and the "rag" left in the bed. Sad day for the moose and blankie. She was as heartbroken as Clark was... So I kinda know how you feel about the cat - from the siblings point of view. :)
I love it, Marietta! And, only the Shadrachs would have a childhood story that takes place in a hostel in Amsterdam!
Post a Comment