6

Bye-Bye Binkie

We made the tough decision last night to get rid of Winifred's binkie. Her binkie has been her sleeping companion since she burst forth from my womb, so they've had a long and faithful relationship. I snipped the end of the nipple off with scissors, then gave it to her. She looked at it for a while, and said "Binkie's broken." I asked her if she wanted to throw it away, and she said that she did. We went to the kitchen, she threw it away and said, "Bye Bye Binkie." We went back to her bedroom, and I was thinking, "Wow, this is easy!" Not so much. She cried and cried and cried...it was so sweet, we could hear her saying, "Binkie's broken. I threw it in the trash can. Binkie's all gone" for about and hour and a half. Then she fell asleep. You might be thinking that I sound like a monster, so in my defense:

1. She is almost 2. It's time.
2. She bites down on it so hard that she punctures it, and saliva seeps into it. Breeding ground for disgusting-ness and germs and bacteria.
3. She throws it out of her crib, or drops it down between the wall and her crib. Andy and I have to constantly go in there and get it for her. She knows that it's her one thing that will force us back there if she's not wanting to go to sleep. "Mommy! Binkie go? Down there!" is something I'd rather not hear anymore.
4. She has a blankie, so that's her comfort now.
5. These aren't your standard "grab one at Target" binkies. Any time it had to be replaced, we had to drive to Cotton Babies or order one online...and they aren't cheap.

So, Winnie's learning to pull herself up by her bootstraps a bit this week. I'll be honest--I'll kinda miss the binkie. It's great timing, because I'm also trying to get Rush to put himself to sleep better on his own and sleep through the night. Wish us luck!


6 comments:

Jaimie said...

I wish Brooke liked her Binkie better - these look so cool. Plus, I'm not going to be able to cut off her thumb when she turns 2. Headgear, here we come.

Aaron said...

you go girl... so brave. This will all be a thing of the past very soon.

Linz said...

"bursting forth" i couldn't handle. Laughing out loud at work.

HeltonTexas said...

yep, a way with words ... you have.
Poor Winnie. Jaxon feels your pain. I made him get rid of his today. His dad let him have it at bed time.
Now I'm the one screaming. I didn't just endure one terrible day to give up that easy. I was prepared to stay up all night if I had to. ugh. I thought about cutting his. But, they are replaceable at Target and who knows where one is hiding in this house???
Are you still going to let Rush have one? We are trying the big boy/baby thing.

Cary said...

Bern- Rush doesn't take one. He only took one for a week and then wouldn't. Just one more way that he and Winnie are opposite!

HeltonTexas said...

I just had Jaxon off the paci for all day and he finally went to sleep without it!
I will post the whole story on my blog -- if we are successful!
How long did it take Winnie to stop asking for it? I heard it could take 3 days???